Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What will you do for a klondike bar? or yourself for that matter.

     If you ask 100 people what is the best way to understand Catholicism you are likely to get 100 different answers. Some will tell you to read the Gospels, others will say study the old writings of St Jerome or St Augustine. Others will say follow the Leco Divina or meditation on the words of Christ.. Some say follow the Ten Commandments and as you become more in line with the ways of Christ. Like I say there is a ton.To a new Catholic it can be a very confusing time especially during times of spiritual dryness that we all experience from time to time.
     When I was just starting in my return to Catholicism I was determined to know everything about the faith and how I could be a more demonstrative Catholic and grow closer with Christ and The Blessed Virgin. I immediately went on a shopping spree to purchase all the books I thought I needed. I went hog wild I bought every book by Scott Hahn had written or helped to write. The Ignatius Study Bible, The Douay-Rheims Bible. The instant problem is this. if you buy 37 books on Catholicism you can't read all of them at the same time. In desperation I picked up a copy of Catholicism For Dummies. Not my favorite book I think I would rename it Buy This and You Are A Dummy. To beat the band 37 books 37 ways to become a better Catholic.
     So I knew that reading would not be very functional at home with kids running around along with 6 dogs wanting to know why this book is more important than their tummy scratch time. So Mistake number two I went out and got a Kindle, not just any Kindle but the nine inch screen model that has better memory and can be set to make your coffee in the morning. So what do you do with a brand new Kindle. You buy e-books of course. They are cheaper than the hard cover copies and download in a second. On top of that you can obtain books under the subject of Catholic which is a great help. There are over 1300 books under Catholic and I did my best to buy the majority. The trick to Kindles is as you buy these e-books you can loose track of what you are spending. So at this point I will stop because in my fervor to be a better Catholic I tallied up quite a bill.
     So I had over 90 books total and still no greater understanding of how to become a better Catholic. It was at this point that one of those spiritual dryness time came. With no defense and no plan for these times I was buried in the tidal wave. Soon the opinion of yourself and your attempts to be a better Catholic fails you and it is at this point you feel your worst. The good news is you are humbled by this experience the bad is allot of Catholic quit at this point. Many go to one of the many "Don't Worry Be Happy Churches". One stop salvation shopping at it's best. You almost can see the Wal-Mart sign in the parking lot. Buy here and get instantly saved no matter what you do later. While I did not go to "The Church of Fuzzy Bunny Hugs". By the way if you do go to one of these churches remember if you smell carrots and don't see any around you, it's just a bunny fart. I'm not picking on these churches in a bad way I leave their Dogma alone but I can't resist a little humor about them as we all poke fun at each other in one way or another. However not always the bunny hug church here attacks Catholicism constantly. It could be that the Pastors parents are Catholic. His Father was a 4th Degree Knight and his other three brothers are all strong Catholics. Needless to say there has to be a chip on the shoulder somewhere.
     Finally I got tired of flopping around and came up with the answers that worked for me. First yes study the four Gospels but concentrate on what Jesus said and did and meditate upon his passion often. Also remember the words of our Mother Mary never has a faith been so pure. Second drag out you Catechism of the Catholic Church read it word for word and reopen the joy you had at being introduced to the Church all over again. Now here if you want you can also use the Baltimore Catechism. I don't recommend it as a first step but it does represent the Church before Vat II. Pick up a copy if the Imitation of Christ read this slowly and learn from it. If their is a better road map to getting closer to God second to the Bible I don't know one. It looks at things step by step and breaks it down for you. Finally Pray,Pray and Pray. God enjoys hearing from us and likes a little conversation. So pray and then spend some quiet time listening. You might be surprised at the result.
all along the way however, if you slip get up ask God's ever present help and then continue on. Never give Satan the victory, he has no ability except to harass you at every turn and get you to a point of spiritual inactivity. It is this he obtains victory,

Until next time God Bless you all and reach for God in all things. Without him you can do nothing, with him you can do anything. Remember the Mustard seed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tweet